The Fourth Session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA4) will take place March 11 to 15, 2019 at UN Environment in Nairobi, Kenya. The Assembly theme will be “Innovative Solutions for Environmental Challenges and Sustainable Consumption and Production”.
The focus areas set out for consideration to be addressed by innovative solutions and a transition to sustainable consumption and production patterns are:
1. Environmental challenges related to poverty and natural resources management, including sustainable food systems, food security and halting biodiversity loss
2. Life-cycle approaches to resource efficiency, energy, chemicals and waste management
3. Innovative sustainable business development at a time of rapid technological change.
This newsletter will provide regular updates to encourage private sector participation.
Registration is now open for UNEA4!
Register here to attend UNEA4.
Only UN Environment-accredited organisations can register for the full UNEA4 Assembly. Each accredited organization can register a maximum of 5 attendees.
If your organization is not yet accredited, you can submit an accreditation request by November 30. Refer to the UN Environment official webpage here.
UNEA Official Documents
• Concept note: Read the full concept note on the UNEA4 theme here.
• Ministerial Declaration: H.E Mr Siim Kiisler, the Minister of Environment of Estonia and President of UNEA4 released a draft outline of the Ministerial Outcome Document on the theme of UNEA4. Read it here. The first full draft will be released in December 2018, and the final draft in February 2019.
• Executive Director Report: The Executive Director has released an outline of the background report for UNEA4. Download and comment on the outline here. You will need to create a papersmart portal account to log in and access the document.
Submit a Side Event proposal for UNEA4
The UNEA4 Secretariat has opened the call for Side Event proposals for UNEA. Interested organisations can submit their proposal here. Deadline for submissions is December 10.
Upcoming UNEA4 Preparatory Meetings
Keep up with the preparatory process for the UN Environment Assembly by following the roadmap to UNEA4, and the meetings of the Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR).
Please visit the CPR website - https://www.unenvironment.org/cpr - for additional details:
- 8 November: CPR Subcommittee meeting - Nairobi, Kenya
- 20 November: Bureau Meeting of the UN Environment Assembly - Nairobi, Kenya
- 22 November: CPR Subcommittee meeting - Nairobi, Kenya
- 26 November: Consultations on the draft Ministerial Outcome Document - Nairobi, Kenya
Other News & Events
- Sustainable Blue Economy Conference: Kenya and its co-hosts Canada and Japan are hosting the first global conference on the sustainable blue economy from 26th to 28th November in Nairobi, Kenya. Learn more here.
- Good Practices, Success Stories and Lessons Learned in SDG Implementation - Call for Submissions: The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) is launching a call for submissions of good practices, success stories and lessons learned in the implementations of the SDG’s. Governments, UN entities, international and regional organizations, Major Groups and other Stakeholders are invited to submit contributions between 1 November 2018 and 28 February 2019. Learn more here.
The Global Business Alliance for the Environment (GBA4E) is a business sector-led and governed alliance. GBA4E’s membership is open to all national, regional and international business organizations, enterprises, cooperatives, and trade associations who wish to engage with UN Environment and UNEA. GBA4E invites you to join and take part in addressing the shared and unprecedented environmental challenges that the world is facing and deliver on the environmental dimensions of sustainable development. https://gba4e.org/