The Fourth Session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA4) is taking place March 11 to 15, 2019 at UN Environment in Nairobi, Kenya on the theme “Innovative Solutions for Environmental Challenges and Sustainable Consumption and Production”.
The assembly focus areas are sustainable food systems; life-cycle approaches to resource, energy, chemicals and waste management and innovative sustainable business development. The assembly’s campaign is #solvedifferent
The following events will take place at the Assembly:
March 04 – 08 2018 Fourth Open-ended Meeting of the CPR
March 09 – 10 2018 Science, Policy and Business Forum
March 11 – 15 2018 United Nations Environment Assembly
March 11 – 15 2018 Sustainable Innovation Expo
The 2nd Science Policy and Business Forum will be held March 9 to 10, prior to the High-Level Segment of UNEA. Areas to be covered include:
- Frontier technologies;
- Governance and ethics;
- Redesigning cities;
- Creative public-private partnerships for financing;
- Climate challenge on non-state actors;
- Sustainable lifestyles – food systems and technology markets.
Sustainable Innovation Expo
The Sustainable Innovation Expo will run parallel to the assembly on the theme “Eco-innovation and Sustainable Financing” and will feature an exhibition space, panel discussions, roundtables and leadership dialogues.
Apply here to exhibit your product/service at the Sustainable Innovation Expo
In the run-up to the Assembly, UN Environment is leading a global campaign to Think Beyond Live Within. This campaign focuses on an informative and emotive approach to communicating the environmental cost of key consumption and production models. As part of the campaign, UN Environment is encouraging people to take the lead and #SolveDifferent for a sustainable future for our planet.
Watch the video message from Siim Kiisler, 4th President of the United Nations Environment Assembly, inviting you to #SolveDifferent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEe7a9BKD4
Visit the campaign website here - www.solvedifferent.eco
Register for UNEA4
Register here to attend UNEA4. Only UN Environment-accredited organisations can register for the full UNEA4 Assembly. Each accredited organization can register a maximum of 5 attendees. View the full list of accredited organisations here.
UNEA/UNEP Official Documents
- Concept note: Read the full concept note on the UNEA4 theme here.
- Ministerial Declaration: H.E Mr Siim Kiisler, the Minister of Environment of Estonia and President of UNEA4 released a draft outline of the Ministerial Outcome Document on the theme of UNEA4. Read it here. The final document will be released in February 2019.
- Executive Director Report: The Executive Director has released an outline of the background report for UNEA4. The report will be used as a basis for discussions at UNEA leadership dialogues and high-level segments. Download and comment on the outline here. You will need to create a papersmart portal account to log in and access the document. The deadline for commentary is Friday December 14.
- Global Environment Outlook: the 6th Global Environment Outlook (GEO6) will be launched during UNEA. A consultation meeting on the GEO-6 summary for policy makers will be held January 21–25, 2019 in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Resolutions: Read the proposed resolutions for UNEA4 here
Upcoming UNEA4 Preparatory Meetings
The following meeting of the UNEA CPR and Bureau has been confirmed. Unless announced otherwise, Major Group representatives are welcome to attend, either in-person or online.
- January 07: Joint meeting of the Bureaux of UN Environment Assembly and Committee of Permanent Representatives - Nairobi, Kenya
Please visit the CPR Website for additional details - https://www.unenvironment.org/cpr
Other News & Events
- January 10 – 11: Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) Ministerial Conference (Durban, South Africa)
- January 14 – 18: First Substantive Session on the Global Pact for the Environment (Nairobi, Kenya)
- January 22 – 25: World Economic Forum (Davos, Switzerland)
- November 1 2018 - 28 February 2019: Call for Submissions Good Practices, Success Stories and Lessons Learned in SDG Implementation: The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) is launching a call for submissions of good practices, success stories and lessons learned in the implementations of the SDG’s. Governments, UN entities, international and regional organizations, Major Groups and other Stakeholders are invited to submit contributions between 1 November 2018 and 28 February 2019. Learn more here.
The Global Business Alliance for the Environment (GBA4E) is a business sector-led and governed alliance. GBA4E’s membership is open to all national, regional and international business organizations, enterprises, cooperatives, and trade associations who wish to engage with UN Environment and UNEA. GBA4E invites you to join and take part in addressing the shared and unprecedented environmental challenges that the world is facing and deliver on the environmental dimensions of sustainable development. https://gba4e.org/